Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dueling Hummingbirds and Winning Blazers


I spent Tuesday morning and afternoon at the Turner's house where I checked on our spring veggie garden.


The starts have not received much sun lately, but mild temperatures and plenty of rain are all they need to stay alive.


I tried to get some work done at the kitchen table, but I was distracted by the newly-arrived rufous hummingbirds. A female rufous remained perched on a branch near the feeder and chased away any Anna's hummingbirds that dared to come for a drink.


She occasionally came for a drink herself, but spent most of her time chasing others.

Last weekend, we put up a feeder at the beach, and a Rufous Battle Royale ensued. At least four males and females chased each other in every direction. Many of these aggressive little birds will move north to nest, then migrate south through the Rockies and southwestern mountains where they will harass the broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds nesting there.

After we finished work, Sarah and I took the light rail to the Rose Garden in Portland and I watched my first Trailblazers game, a belated birthday present. The Blazers played their division rivals, the Utah Jazz.


Utah score the first basket of the game and did not lead again. The blazers scored a season-high 39 points in the first quarter and easily won 125-104. Two more wins and they are in the playoffs!

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

I have only seen Rufous hummingbirds a few times in my life and they ARE aggressive little buggers! Happy birthday to you! Sounds like you had a fun day!