Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dawson Creek Nests

The nesting season is underway at Dawson Creek Park, which surrounds the Hillsboro Library. After dropping off an overdue book, Andie and I took a walk around a few ponds. I checked on the Canada goose island and noticed a small white pile of down. Looking through binoculars, I noticed one large egg.

The adults were swimming nearby, keeping the egg in sight.

I found my first American robin nest of the year near another pond. A female was bringing material to a birch tree in a grove where several nests were constructed last year. Now that the residents are hard at work, the migrants should be moving in and nesting any week now.

2 comments:

EcoRover said...

Spring cannot be denied.

Kathie Brown said...

I look forward to updates on the migrants. They are returning rapidly here also. I haven't seen an American Robin in a long time!