Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Good Gull Day

Today I took a quick trip to Hillsboro Stadium and its surrounding wetlands to look for gulls and geese.

I found group of 14 gulls on one of the baseball fields. Although they are small and out of focus, the gulls above can be identified as glaucous-winged gulls due to their gray wingtips. Three ring-billed gulls were also in the field.

As I approached the fence, they flew to the other side of the field. Apparently they did not trust my intentions. Glaucous-wings nest on the coast of Washington north to Alaska, while the ring-bills nest inland to the east and north of us. Gulls are another great example of how birds converge on Oregon from different directions each winter.

There are several ponds near the stadium.

This one had a flock of Canada geese,


The larger ponds were empty, but this small one was crowded with ducks.

I spotted mallards, green-winged teal, gadwalls, and hooded mergansers.

Later in the day, I returned to the field south of the apartment.
I did not get any pictures, but I found some California gulls, juvenile glaucous-wings, a juvenile mew gull, and a potential juvenile Thayer's gull. A great day for gulls and waterfowl!

1 comment:

Marimoy said...

Really lovely pictures and commentary... as always.