Sunday, December 6, 2009

Distractions

During the last few weeks, a few distractions have made it difficult to focus on work. The first is the Oregon Duck football team, which won the PAC 10 championship on Thursday night.


The Ducks beat their rivals Oregon State in one of the best football games I can recall. Like many other Duck or Beaver fans, I had been thinking about little more than this game since November 21, when it became clear that the winner would go on to the Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl is almost a month away, so hopefully I can regain some focus until then.

The other distraction began when Sarah and I started the process of buying a house. Nothing is official yet, but we have set our sights on a small home in a great neighborhood.


The property has a lot of garden space and plenty of exotic vegetation in need of serious management. I can’t wait to get out there to pull some English ivy, cut blackberry, and plant native shrubs.


I have managed to get some work done during the last month, including a paper on Black-chinned Hummingbirds, which was published in a major bird journal. I have another stack of papers I am trying to finish, but it has not been easy. Luckily, my out-of-state employer is not expecting any products until February.

2 comments:

Kathie Brown said...

Oh, congrats on the article and the (hopefully) new house! What will you call your blog then? Will you start a new one or rename the old one? A yard is a wonderful thing, no matter how small.

EcoRover said...

Congrats on getting the paper out. Do you have a link to your scientific work? (I'll check your personal page)

I've been invited to submit a chapter on "hunter-raven communication" for a book about human-animal communication in "wild" settings. Have reviewed the raven-wolf ethology literature (Heinrichs etc), but if you know of any lit on human-raven interactions, please pass it along.

Colleague Chad Okrusch is a Ducks alum (his doctoral program), so I hear about them probably more than I need to.

Griz have sure had an exciting run, though.