Thursday, May 1, 2008

Gardening 101

Today I needed a break from my computers, so I brought some papers for reading and editing to My grandparents in law's house. While there, Andie and I spent time preparing a raised bed that Fred is loaning us in his garden.


With a little instruction, I tilled the bed while Andie grazed nearby. We think she is part cattle dog, after all.


Fred has one bed stocked with raspberries, lettuce, and onions.


The rest of the garden will be tilled with a heavy-duty rig in preparation for dozens of tomato starts.


Fred assures us that we can plant our own tomatoes in any unused space. Fred grew up on a tomato farm in the Okanagan Valley, so I could not ask for a better garden mentor. I can't wait until we have boxes of tomatoes to preserve and garnish every meal.


When Sarah finished work, we planted some starts that had been sitting on our deck during the past two weeks.


Now that they are in the ground, we are thinking about what seeds and starts to plant in the remaining space.

1 comment:

Kathryn and Ari said...

What a great bed! I've been thinking that's the perfect solution to the chilly clay in my yard.